1 400g tin mixed beans (or baked beans)
1 tbsp oil
1 small onion
300g white rice
2 tbsp tomato puree / 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1 glove garlic
Mexican spices such as paprika (1 tsp), cumin (1tsp), cinnamon(1/2tsp), mild chilli powder (1/1 tsp)
60g grated cheese
Mexican Rice and Beans
Peel and finely chop garlic, onion, peppers and carrot. If using mixed beans (not baked beans), drain and rinse well with cold water.
Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat, cook the garlic and onion for a couple of minutes until soft. Add any additional spices.
Add in the rice, mixing everything together well.
Add the tomato puree or chopped tomatoes, mix well and leave to cook for 2 minutes. Next add in the water, bring mixture to a boil.
Add in the carrots, peppers and beans, reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer for around 15 minutes. Add grated cheese as topping and enjoy!
- Serve as a main dish, or alongside sweet potato wedges!
- Season the dish to your family’s tastes, you could add chilli, lime and coriander!
- You could always add mince or chicken to this dish alongside/instead of the beans.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze in portions, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight or in a microwave. Only ever re-heat rice once, ensuring it is piping hot before eating.
Great as a meal on its own or as a side dish with chicken, fish or meat
A balanced plate, with 4 of your 5 fruit and vegetables a day, in just one pot